Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

My dad was my hero.  He taught us right from wrong, honesty, and integrity.  He taught us to always do the right thing even when the right thing wasn't easy.  When searching for a husband of my own, I wanted someone just like my dad.  He loved our mother and devoted himself to his family.  He was father to six children and was our father, not our friend.  He would discipline us and then tell us he loved us.  He was not afraid to show affection and showed to all he loved.  I am so proud to be his daughter. 
In 1995 he was diagnosed with esaphageal cancer.  Twenty five days later he died.  He was only 67 years old.  My mother was devastated.  He was her life.  They were married when she was only 16 years old, and were married for over 44 years.  A few years later she died of a broken heart at the young age of 65.  She's happy now.
Her and dad were proud of all of their children and taught us what a good marriage is.  I miss them both and think of them every single day.  Happy Father's Day, Daddy!

1 comment:

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Sandy, this is such a sweet post. I lost my dad when he was 67 also. Cancer also. Father's day weekend is always a rough for me.